You guys really came through with the Formspring questions in the last week! I decided to leave some out of the blog re-post that were more of a conversation between a friend and I, but here's the rest!
Hi! how did you do your layout? thanks!I've had many stages of my layout over time! The one thing I finally started doing was if someone had a blog with a feature I liked I'd google different search terms to figure out what it was called, and then how to do it. For instance, I found someone with the three column layout, loved it, and wanted it for my blog. I found someone else who gave explicit directions where you copy and paste the code into your blog, and it worked! Make sure you export your current blog though, under settings/basic. That way if you totally mess up you can just import the old version so it's like nothing ever went wrong! Definitely had to do that a few times!
what is your favorite fruit?Pineapple!
If you could have any super power, what would it be and why?Probably mind-reading! Not flying, I'd be too scared.
are you on ravelry?I am!! There should be a button on the right side of my page that leads you to my profile, but you can find me there as 'susannahbean'. I don't use it very much anymore though. I only look up patterns and stuff.
Why do you blog? how do you get people interested and noticing your blog?I started a livejournal when I was 16 or 17 because my friends had them, and it seemed like all the cool girls that I was envious of were doing it. It didn't really go anywhere until I started knitting, then I joined a couple knitting communities and made some lj-friends that way. When I switched to blogger I had no idea what I was doing, and I actually deleted a ton of posts before this iteration of susannahbean came about. Originally my blog was all about knitting, I would show off what projects I was working on or what yarn I bought, but you reach a small audience that way. I really started having a successful blog this year, maybe around February/March. I started posting regularly about things other than knitting and really found my groove with how I blog/what I blog about. I've made some really great friends that have helped me out (whether they know it or not) by featuring me or linking to me.
As far as getting people interested, I honestly don't know what it is about my blog that keep people coming back, other than that I try to be as unpretentious as possible. My blog is an almost perfect representation of who I am in real life. If I'm having a bad day, I'll share it! I think once I got the hang of designing and customizing my blog people started sticking around more. To me, it's important to have a blog that looks put-together and visually appealing.
I think it's important to network, find other blogs you like and leave comments often! You'll meet people that way, and other people will see your name more often.
What makes you read someones blog?I think this will be easier to list out...
1. I like blogs that are visually appealing. That doesn't mean just a nice header or background, but pretty pictures and stuff too. I invested a lot of time learning how to customize my blog and I think it's important to give off a certain aesthetic.
2. I really, REALLY appreciate when the person is down to earth. I can only think of a few blogs that I read where I wouldn't be able to recognize the person's face or name. I think it's important to be able to connect with the person through their blog. I read very few blogs that don't include posts about the person's day-to-day life.
3. I like to be inspired by other blogs I read. Whether it's through attitude, style, craft, or any other possibility.
4. I like blogs that are interesting and well-written. I know I let my fair share of typos slip by, but i think there's something to be said about blogs that seem well thought out and that the person put effort into it. I follow quite a few blogs that I end up not reading the posts of because the person just rambles incoherently.
5. I appreciate when people change things up. I know some of my blog friends get flack for doing daily features, but I think it's fun to see what other people stumble across on the internet!
I hope I don't sound too critical!
What is your worst nightmare?I'd have to say losing the people I love. I can't even think about it.
What color is your hair naturally?Kind of a lighter mousy/ashy brown. I think. I haven't seen much more than my roots in like 11 years!
How long have you been with your boyfriend?We dated off and on my senior year of high school/freshman year of college, but it didn't end well and we didn't talk or see each other for over two years. Then we reconnected, and this time around it's been 3 and 1/2 years!
This is a fun post about us from last Valentine's Day: http://susannahbean.blogspot.com/2010/02/lovey.html
*There's a playlist that starts playing automatically, so be prepared!*